Thursday, June 14, 2012

Woodland Love Bird Cake

This post has no recipe, just a few pictures of the cake I made for my husband and my combined 50th birthday party. We held a cocktail party in 1950's style, and I have to say, the cooking wasn't particularly 1950's-esque but the people were.

Looking pretty good for 50, aren't we?
The main of the birthday cake was a 6 layered, pink ombre butter cake, surrounded with rustic slabs of dark chocolate and tied with a ribbon. It was topped with a smaller cake in the same style, featuring two love bird toppers made out of rolled fondant. These were supposed to look like 1950's style birds, the male featuring a hat popular in that era and the female sporting a tiny hat on the side. Unfortunately my son got to them before we did and demolished the hats, which I had to hastily reconstruct just before the party. Hence, they're a bit demented, but you get the idea. The cake had a sort of woodland-bird feel about it, as I decorated the top of the large cake with chocolate curls and fondant roses.

 I didn't get a picture of it after it was cut but my sister in law did. It was only then that I realised the colour graduation wasn't as distinctive as I had hoped.


It was yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give me some sugar, Sugar...